On the 24th of February, I bought M.P. Echo, my guitar. It's an FG700s. Get it? FG? FGGJP? I'm so great, I amaze myself. See the Guitar Update #1 for other "valuable" guitar related materials. By the way, welcome the "Guitar" tag, for all things guitar and partially applying to musical performances! [tag not necessary for in the fgggp version.]
So now that it's the 26th of March, I have no option of returning it. Therefore, I'm keeping it. I like the guitar. I need to learn some more songs for it, that's for sure.
You'll note that I bought the guitar on February 24th, and my first recorded performance was March 24th, 30 days later! Yes, on Monday, I sang at a wedding, and I also played my guitar. I'll post about the wedding soon. But for now, listen to my performance, below! I didn't include the video. The file is 2 MB in size, according to Blogger.
...yeah!
It was quite a day. If you can believe it, I randomly got a guitar lesson the day before in church which gave me a little bit of inspiration. The teacher was none other than Dave Spider, who has a "variety show" which he performs. Apparently, he's a real jokepot. All I know is that he's a patient guy. I learned so much, I can't believe it. It was like his knowledge was crushed walnuts, and I was an apple coated in caramel, and I was rolled around in his knowledge.
David dataDyne is also learning to play the guitar, and even though he's ages ahead of me, he was also absorbing. Dave (Dave Spider; they're both named David) conned him into becoming my teacher, so now I'll be learning how to play the guitar from David dataDyne. It'll mostly consist of me and him getting together once a month and him telling me I do everything wrong.
Then, it will advance into once-a-week, two-hour-long meetings where we practice the hymns for that week. We're going to become the players for the church...Mr. Bruckner will still sing, but we'll play. He may start performing before I do, but I'm sure I'll be able to grasp some basic songs within a few months. I want to learn the one song he played. Maybe he has TAB (guitar musical language) for it.
As of (around) March 15th, my fingers no longer feel like they've been cut, burned, and crushed simultaneously, but they do get pretty sore and tender after I've been playing a long time. When you play for even one person, though, you don't feel it. I was nervous. Also, my strumming hand doesn't lose its coordination nearly as quickly. I can now play for about half an hour, whereas before I could only play for about 3 minutes, then 5 minutes, then 10 minutes.
I'm developing the calluses at a good rate, too. Time to end this post, though. I still only know the chords Dmajor, and Amajor, and Gmajor. I remember them quickly and easily by Delactation, Antigalactic, and Galactometer...D, A, G. What?...don't give me that "You've made yourself look like a freak" look again. Do YOU know of an easier way to remember the chords?!
I'll make another update some other time. For now, it's time to do laundry. Off I go.
Originally posted on my main blog, Winter Ends Too Soon, March 26th, 2008.
Monday, March 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment