There are several versions, but I like the one I use here. Someday, I'll find the expanded ending, like (if memory serves) is present in the "original."
I used this tab, found at 911Tabs. Specifically, this link:
e|-------------------------------------------------------| b|-------------------------------------------------------| G|-------3--3---3(b)-----------5--5---3(b)---------------| D|--3(b)-----------------3(b)----------------------------| A|-------------------------------------------------------| E|-------------------------------------------------------|
e|-------------------------------------------------------| b|-------------------------------------------------------| G|-------3-5-5/8---3--0-----3--3---3(b)------------------| D|--3(b)----------------3--------------------------------| A|-------------------------------------------------------| E|-------------------------------------------------------|
The legend states:
/ = slide (but I instead bend)
(b) = bend (but I instead bend it up and down- I am unsure what this is called. It's, y'know, bending up and down in an alternating fashion. I didn't quite grasp tab completely at the time I learned this, which was a month ago. This makes the above tab kind of difficult to grasp for awhile, until I find out what that's called. Probably "alternate bending" or something.)
Compensating for those changes here is the tab I used for the song:
e|-------------------------------------------------------| b|-------------------------------------------------------| G|-------3--3---3(ab)-----------5--5---3(ab)-------------| D|--3----------------------3-----------------------------| A|-------------------------------------------------------| E|-------------------------------------------------------|
e|-------------------------------------------------------| b|-------------------------------------------------------| G|-------3-5-5(b)8---3--0-----3--3---3(ab)---------------| D|--3---------------------3------------------------------| A|-------------------------------------------------------| E|-------------------------------------------------------|
Tab legend:
(ab) = "alternate bend" bend up and down rapidly; this is not an official name or sign. I'll find out what it's called.
(b) = bend
As you can tell in the below video, I still can't quite grasp this extremely easy song after a month of regular practice. Yeah...but I'm learning the MP1 theme music. (More on that later- suffice it to say, it's lots more difficult than this.)
My adoring fans. I hope they don't do this to me at church!
Officially, slide means to move quickly to a higher/lower fret (i.e. from the 5th to the 8th), but I thought "slide" meant to bend. Bend means to, while holding the string down, "bend" the string up or down to achieve a different pitch. Think about it: as you push it down (down as in from the 3rd string toward the 2nd string) a quarter inch or so, it tightens the string, thus smoothly increasing the tension, thus changing the pitch. See an actual, detailed article about this.
Now for my pitiful explanation...ahem: For example, I was doing 5(b)8 instead of 5/8. I should have held the 5, then, very quickly, moved down to the 8th fret (all of this is occurring on string G- the 3rd string, remember?) That's a slide.
Instead, I struck the 5th fret, then, while holding the string down, pushed the string close to the 2nd string, adding a neat rising and lowering effect. That's a bend. It sounds very controlled and delicate in this particular song. Experiment and you should get it...again, hold the string down, then push it down toward another string, you should see what I mean. 5(b)8 means to bend the string until it sounds like it's the 8th fret- thus identifying for you how much to bend it. I think this is why I was confused- the 3(b) does not tell you how much to bend it, so my mind went "IMPROVISE, IMPROVIIICE!"
Aside from misunderstanding the slide sign (/), I thought that the "bend" in the tab legend meant to push the string up and down as in a bend- in this case, using the 3rd string, 5/8 example, you'd move the string down toward the 2nd string (string, not fret) and up toward the 4th several times in rapid fashion. It makes the string sound more lively. And it's fun to do- you may not be able to do it at first, but you'll develop the strength in a short amount of time. It will come naturally. Then you'll get faster, or so I hear.
I do not know what the signal/sign for this particular move is, and I don't know what it's called. I like my substitutions more than the original tab, and I don't think that makes me a bad person. Tell me if you like the original more than mine. The original or mine? Or "other"?
I've got the newspaper, come fetch the newspaper? Over here! Newspaper! Choose me!
At least choose "other"!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment