Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Metroid Prime Theme

I happened upon a neat enough site about a month ago called Game Tabs. That's Game Tabs with a .net, ya hear?

While certainly not a complete library, it may still contain something you'd like to learn. Me? I'd like to learn some Metroid songs. Metroid has special songs. It's a part of the series that make you wonder just how closely God was working with the divers studios and directors. Meanwhile, Satan is hard at work on the enemies in Metroid. I figure it's a type of battleground for God and Satan.


While I sure would love tab for Phendrana drifts/the Magmoors- yeah, like that'll be simple- fools can't be choosers. So I decided to learn the theme song. You know the theme song, don't you? It's utterly recognizable and oh-so-Metroidy.

Here is the recording. It is extremely off (actually, it's one of the worst recordings I did, I don't know why I use it!), forgive me, I've been playing for the last hour, and the tips of my marshmallows resemble miniature fingers. My arms and wrists and forearms and shoulders are cramping, and oh, this is the best I can do for now, OK? I would strongly suggest listening to my recording for laughs, then going to the above link (or here) to listen to the actual song and play along to that.






And of course, here is the tab, via Gametabs.net (I changed the format a bit to make it easier):


--5---3---8---0---|----------0---5---|------------------|------------------| ------------------|---6--------------|---------------6--|------------------| ------------------|------------------|---6---7---5------|-------5---4------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|---7--------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------|

--5---3---8---0---|----------0---5---|------------5---7-|---8---8---7------| ------------------|---6--------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|---6---7----------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------|


--5---5---5---5---|---5---7--------5-|---5---5---5---5--|---7--------------| ------------------|-----------8------|------------------|-------8----------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------|


--5---5---5---5---|---5---7---8---10-|---10---10---10---|---10----8---7----| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------|


--5---5---5---5---|---5---7--------5-|---5---5---5---5--|---7--------------| ------------------|-----------8------|------------------|-------8----------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------|


--5---5---5---5---|---5---7---8---10-|---10---10---10---|---10----8---7----| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------| ------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------|



It's pretty simple, but here's how I do it (remember, just because you can do it with one or two fingers, doesn't mean that you should; you should use as many fingers as necessary and try to follow the "one finger per fret" rule.):

I begin with my ring finger on the 5th fret, and my index finger on the 3rd fret. I hit the 5th, then the 3rd, and this allows me to get to the 8th fret with my ring finger a bit faster. Then, since there's a short time you have to arrange your fingers (because the 0 isn't fretted), I place my ring finger on the second string, 6th fret and my middle finger on the third string, 6th fret. This leaves my index finger poised to pounce on the 0 and 5 on the first string.

Then, my middle finger is set to hit the 6-7-5 on the third string, and my ring finger is still on the second string to hit the 6 there. It's tricky, but I then bring my pinkie finger up to hit the 7th fret on the fourth string, and my middle finger is still in place to hit the 5-4 on the third string. You could manipulate your ring finger to hit the 7th on the fourth string, but I like the practice my pinkie gets. And it's quieter when it doesn't buzz.

The rest is fairly simple fingering-wise. I would really suggest alternate picking, especially on the 5-5-5-5-5 and 10-10-10-10-10. Also, a heavy gauge pick helps.


I did not use alternate picking, because this wasn't a practice session and I didn't have time to perfect alternate strumming (I'm a horrible guitarist!). The end product is not as good as a result and, honestly, why did I use that recording? There were others that were much better. I'll upload a better one in time, I swear. And I'll start posting some hymns to learn from, they're great.

No comments: